Last updated January 2020
Who we are
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
We collect information from you when you register on our site and forums and gather data when you participate in the forums by reading, writing and evaluating the content shared.
When registering on our forum, you will be asked for your name and email address. You may however visit our site without registering and view limited information. Your email address will be verified by an email containing a unique link. If that link is visited, we know that you control the email address.
When registering or posting, we record the IP address that the post originated from. We also may retain server logs which include the IP address of every request to our server.
We may also collect and process the following about you from across the Promote-Ed site and the forums:
- Personal and contact details you have provided to us, such as your name, email address, postcode for example when you register on our site, contact us or participate in forums and discussions or where you have agreed to receive marketing materials from us or third parties;
- Information included in any communications between us or which you provide in any post on any Site or any information collected when you participate in any poll or quiz or obtained via social media or which is publicly available;
- Information about your use of third party products or services or from third parties who we may use to operate certain aspects of our business;
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To personalise your experience – your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs.
- To improve our site – we continually strive to improve our site offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you.
- To improve customer service – your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs.
- To send periodic emails – the email address you provide may be used to send you information, notifications that you request about changes to topics or in response to your username, respond to inquiries and/or other requests or questions.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Of course we have Plugins
Our plugins send request to third party APIs via website-visitor’s web browser to fetch information (like social shares, social comment count). This request made by web browser may include IP address, which can then be seen by the third-party that it’s being requested from. This API request doesn’t include any personal data of the website user other than the IP address.
Where is the data collected by your plugins stored?
We do not store any data fetched by our plugins on our servers, neither we share that data with any third party. Our plugins run absolutely on your website and store the data in the database of your website.
We use Google Analytics to store information about how visitors use our website so that may make improvements and give visitors a better user experience.
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit or access your personal information.
Why we process your personal data
We rely on the following legal bases to use your personal data:
A. Where it is needed to provide you with our products or services, such as:
- Managing products and services you hold with us, or an enquiry about one
- Sharing your personal information with third parties and services providers when you apply for a product or service to help manage your product or service
- All stages and activities relevant to managing your account with us and service provided
B. Where it is in our legitimate interests to do so, such as:
- Managing your services, updating your records
- To perform and/or test the performance of, our products, services and internal processes
- For some direct marketing communications, subject to appropriate controls and safeguards
- To follow guidance and recommended best practice of government and regulatory bodies
- For management and audit of our business operations
- To carry out monitoring and to keep records of our communications with you and us
- For market research and analysis and developing statistics
- To provide insight and analysis of our customers to business partners either as part of providing products or services, helping us improve products or services, or to assess or to improve the operating of our businesses
- Where we need to share your personal information with people or organisations in order to run our business or comply with any legal and/or regulatory obligations
- To comply with our legal obligations or where we reasonably believe we are under a legal or regulatory obligation
C. With your consent or explicit consent
- For some direct marketing communications and digital advertising activities
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
We’re based in the UK and the Republic of Ireland but sometimes your personal information may be transferred outside the European Economic Area. If we do so we’ll make sure that suitable safeguards are in place, for example by using approved contractual agreements, unless certain exceptions apply. We can provide more information about this on request.
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
How long do we keep your data?
In general, we keep your personal information for as long as we need it for the purpose for which it was collected, plus a short additional period in case of problems. How long we keep it therefore varies according to the type of information it is and why we have it, and will range from a few days or weeks to, in some cases, several years. We have established a full data retention policy, and can provide further information on request.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our site, conducting our business or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies or protect ours or others rights, property or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising or other uses.
What automated decision making and/or profiling we do with user data
We may analyse your personal information to create a profile of your interests and preferences so that we can contact you with information relevant to you. We may make use of extra information about you when it is available from external sources to help us do this effectively. We may also use your personal information to detect and cut fraud and credit risk.
We would like to send you information about our services which may be of interest to you. If you have consented to receive marketing, you may opt out at any point as set out below.
You have a right at any time to stop us from contacting you for marketing purposes. To opt out please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Third Party Links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our site. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activity of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.